February 23, 2009

Visit to Aruba

I am currently sitting on the couch in a condo in Aruba. And, I am thinking about all the things I need to do for PETS (Presidents Education Training Seminar). The real reason I came to Aruba was to get some sun and a little break from the many duties of an incoming governor. However, I can't seem to be away from my computer for very long. There is still a lot to do.

I have e-mailed all my unregistered PEs (President Elects) trying to get them to register. It seems Rotarians are reluctant to commit too early in the game. My fear is that the shortage of hotel rooms may be very inconvenient. And, I want the best for the people who make District 7910 what it is. Presidents are the most important people in the Rotary world. It is an hour later than Boston time so I am hoping that a few more people will register today. The hotel is taking 20 more rooms away from us today.

The PETS experience was one of the highlights of my Rotary life and I and seven other DGEs (District Governor Elects) have been working since August to make the 2009-10 event the very best yet. Presidents don't know until they arrive how fascinating it is to meet PEs from all over New England. There are 8 districts with over 430 presidents and 80 Assistant Governors to meet. The only sad part is because it is such a big event, the hotel is too small to accomodate spouses. Hopefully, that problem will be eliminated in the future.

Time to get some rays. . .

No comments: